The State Museum is proud to share a master plan for the renovation of the Museum's galleries. The master plan calls for 35,000 square feet of new exhibitions, a changeable wall system, and new interactive technology and media.?
A full master plan of the renovation project, including artist renderings and floor plans, is?AVAILABLE HERE
The master plan outlines the vision and goals for the new galleries and the overall approach for the renovation project. The goal of the renovation is to share New York State's natural, cultural and human history in an integrated, relevant, and memorable way.?
The new galleries will be developed under a conceptual approach of "New York Stories" - with every exhibition telling the stories of the state in a diverse and compelling way. The new galleries will address the following themes:
- A State of Change: demonstrates New York State's geographic and geological change through natural and human impact.
- Politics and Prose: presents New York State as a place of debate, dialogue and documentation.?
- Emergence of a State: defines New York State through its people, places and events.
- Culture, Community and Context: explores New York State's people, cities, and culture through topics such as art, music, architecture and beliefs.
- New York in 100 Objects: an exhibition of 100 objects, including objects borrowed from museums across the state, that represents the history of New York.